CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A judge on Tuesday kept a $5 million bond for the man accused of killing four people, including three of his relatives, and wounding an 8-year-old girl.
Martin Muniz, 41, who appeared at his arraignment via a Zoom video feed from Cuyahoga County Jail, laughed when a victim’s advocate told the judge that the surviving members of Muniz’s family could not make it to the hearing and that they “never want to see him again.”
Muniz pleaded not guilty through a public defender to multiple counts of aggravated murder, murder, attempted murder and a host of other charges in the Jan. 13 slayings of his father, Miguel Gonzalez, 68; his sister, Angelic Gonzalez, 34; his nephew, Jayden Baez, 16; and Anthony Boothe, 48.
The 8-year-old girl, who is Boothe’s daughter, is “recovering in the hospital,” Assistant Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Anna Faraglia said in court Tuesday.
Both Faraglia and the family asked Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court Judge Sherrie Miday to keep the $5 million bond that was set at Muniz’s Jan. 17 arraignment in Cleveland Municipal Court.
Miday did not change the bond. She also kept in place an order preventing Muniz from contacting the 8-year-old girl. She appointed attorneys Tom Shaughnessy and Craig Smotzer to defend Muniz.
The case was assigned to Judge Andrew Santoli.
A grand jury charged Muniz in a 25-count indictment handed up Friday. Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O’Malley’s office said it reserves the right to seek a future indictment to include charges that would make Muniz eligible to face the death penalty if he is convicted.
Court records show Muniz lived at the Mack Court home in the Brooklyn Centre neighborhood, where prosecutors say he carried out the massacre.
Muniz flagged down police officers patrolling the neighborhood and told them five people had been shot at the house, police said. Officers went to the home and discovered the slayings.
The victims had all been shot in the head and were in different rooms of the house, a Cleveland police homicide detective wrote in a charging document filed in Cleveland Municipal Court.
Boothe and his 8-year-old daughter were still alive when police found them, and officers gave them first aid until Cleveland paramedics came and took them to MetroHealth. Boothe died the day after the shooting, police said.
The other victims were pronounced dead at the scene, police said.